The Following I found quite by chance printed in a book by the famous ghost 
hunter Eliot O'Donnall. It is of interest to me not only because its very concise
and assumingly accurate rendition of a poltergeist case but also because as I live 
very near to the town of Portishead where the case occurs. I have in the past
looked for paranormal happenings in the town but until now I have found nothing 
of note. Unfortunately the names of the people and the house have been changed
but the old part of the town is rather small so I hope that I may be able to 
locate the building and find out a little more about the people and the peculiar
goings on. Anyway enjoy folks, and watch this space i'll let you all know when I 
find out a little more. 

“Before I commence my story,” he writes, “I think it expedient to state
that both my parents are dead, my father having died many years ago and
my mother quite recently. The latter had lived to the very ripe age of
ninety, had possessed an unusually strong will, was a most devout Roman
Catholic, and took the deepest interest in everything that concerned
our welfare. She had two peculiarities: (1) A strange aversion to
children; (2) a positive loathing and dread of blackbeetles. The house
stands alone, some thirty yards or so from the road, and is well
concealed from view by a high brick wall and numerous trees.

“There are four bedrooms upstairs, two on either side of the
landing--which for clearness I will number--viz., No. 1 occupied by
my wife and I; No. 2 my sister Mary’s room; No. 3 my sister Joan’s
room; No. 4 the spare bedroom in which my mother died. The top storey
consists of two attics inhabited by the servants.

“January 1, 1906, we first became aware of the disturbances--violent
knockings being heard about midnight on the walls and floor of room No.
4. On hurriedly entering it, we could discover nothing. But on leaving
the room the noises were repeated and kept up till two or three in the

“January 5. A recurrence of the disturbance--only much louder.

“January 6. Have in a carpenter who makes a thorough examination of the
wainscoting and reports ‘no traces of rats, mice nor any other animals.’

“January 10. Tremendous knockings again in room No. 4, the door of
which is swinging to and fro violently. A loud clatter on landing as
though half a dozen children were engaged in the roughest horse-play.
The uproar terminates in a terrific crash on the panel of No. 3 door.
Joan rushes out of her bedroom thinking the house is on fire and sees
a strange, green light some six by two feet long moving across the
landing. It disappears in room No. 4.

“January 15. We are all awakened by a loud crash and on reaching the
landing find a big, black oak chest from the coach-house, lying there
on its back. Every one much alarmed.

“February 1. My sister Mary awakened at midnight by feeling something
tickle her cheeks. She puts out her hand to brush it away and
encounters something cold and scaly. Her shrieks of terror bring us all
into her bedroom--there is nothing there.

“February 3. My wife and I are aroused by feeling our bed gently lifted
up and down, and on my getting out for a light, I tread on something
indescribably disgusting. It feels like a monstrous insect!!

“February 4. The knocking very bad all night--particularly in room
No. 4.

“February 5, 6, 7, ditto.

“February 10. The clothes mysteriously taken off Joan’s bed and
transported to room No. 2.

“February 15. Both servants undergo our experience of February 3.

“February 16. The knockings still continued and distant sounds heard
as of some one coming upstairs and turning the handles of all the room

“February 17. Scufflings on the landings, and in the passage as though
caused by a troop of very noisy children.

“February 19. Knockings in room No. 2. The washstand and a heavy
mahogany wardrobe moved some feet out of their places. Mary, who was
awake at the time, saw the shunting of the furniture, but could detect
no sign of any agent.

“March 1. About 8.30 A.M. after Martha had laid the breakfast things
she went downstairs to finish a cup of tea. On her return to the
breakfast room she found it in the wildest state of disorder; chairs
over-turned, ashpan and front of grate removed to furthest extremity of
room, all the pictures taken down from the walls and laid face upwards
on the floor, and the cups, saucers, plates, knives and forks piled
in one heap in centre of table; all this had been done without either
breakage or noise.

“Terrified out of her wits Martha rushed upstairs to our door, and
nothing would induce her to enter the breakfast room again alone.

“March 3. On returning home about 10 P.M. from a neighbouring town,
we found the servants sitting huddled together, half dead with fright
in the kitchen. They had heard knockings and the most appalling thuds
ever since we had gone out; and on entering our room (No. 1) we found
it in an absolute turmoil: the bed-clothes in a promiscuous pile on the
floor, the duchess table turned round with its face to the wall, the
pictures ditto--but--nothing broken.

“March 15. Awakened in middle of night by three loud crashes in room
No. 3, after which we distinctly heard our door open and some one crawl
stealthily under our bed.

“We at once lit a candle--no one was there.

“March 18. Knockings in both the attics. The servants badly scared.

“March 21. As Joan was running downstairs about mid-day, she received
a violent bang on her back as if some one had hit her with the palm of
their hand. She came to my study in a very exhausted condition, and it
took her some minutes to recover.

“March 24. Found my mother’s shoes, which we were certain had been
locked up in a bureau, placed where she had always placed them in her
lifetime--_i.e._, on the hearth-rug before the dining-room fire.

“March 31. My mother’s favourite arm-chair found upside down in front
of the fire-place in room No. 4.

“April 2, 11 P.M. As Mary was stooping to look under the bed for fear
of burglars, she was suddenly pushed down and the mattresses and
bedclothes were thrown on the top of her. Her frantic struggles and
muffled screams being, fortunately, overheard by my wife (I was in
London at the time), she was immediately extricated. No injury, only
bad shock.

“April 3, midnight. The contents of a large chest of drawers in room
No. 3 suddenly emptied on to the floor. Loud crashes in all parts of
the house.

“April 10, 11 P.M. On going up to bed, we find room No. 4 aglow with
a pale green light and filled with a faint sickly odour, which we at
once recognised as identical with that smelt there at the time of my
mother’s decease and which we considered was peculiar to her disease.

“I must mention that after her death, the room had been thoroughly
renovated, the old flooring replaced by new, the walls repapered and
everywhere well disinfected with the strongest carbolic. My mother had
died at 11 P.M.

“April 12, 13, 14, 15; 11 P.M. The same light and smell.

“April 20. Joan fell over some large obstacle in the hall, hurting
herself badly. She could see nothing, but was half suffocated with a
stench similar to the one already described.

“April 30, 2.20 A.M. Both my wife and I distinctly felt something brush
across our faces. We lit a candle and perceived to our horror two long
black antennæ (like the antennæ of a monstrous beetle) waving to and
fro on our pillow.

“We spent the rest of the night on the drawing-room chairs and sofa.

“May 1. Shut up the house.”